Friday 25 April 2014

This project called for creating a map displaying the mean ACT/SAT test scores for all 50 states as well as the participation rates for each which will be published in the Washington Post.  The challenge of presenting these two distinct data sets on one map and being made available to a diverse audience required more planning and preparation than we’d faced in earlier assignments.  I chose to work with the ACT data set and decided to create a plan of action before getting started on the actual map.  Thus, I began by investigating the data sets. There were 34 separate ACT average scores and 31 unique rates of participation that would need to be classified to create a coherent, effective map.  Once I felt I understood the data sets and the overall scale of the project I began to put my plan to work which included drawing a preliminary sketch about how to arrange various map elements.  I felt that I could accomplish most of the map work in ArcGIS and use Adobe Illustrator to put on the finishing touches.

I decided that using a choropleth symbology with a diverging color scheme would be most effective for displaying the test scores.  I chose a diverging color scheme over graduated colors because I felt it was easier to distinguish the full range of the data set among the states on the screen.  I used an Equal Interval classification with 5 classes because 6 classes seemed to lack vitality.  I used an orange to purple color scheme since it offered a print friendly & colorblind safe option to accommodate the diverse audience that would see the map.

To display the participation rates I opted to use a Defined Interval classification with a graduated circle symbol broken down to 5 classes.  I felt using 5 classes was easier to view on the screen and created a symmetry with the 5 classes used for the test scores.  Using a bright green circle stood out against the color scheme of the test scores and created a pleasing aesthetic overall. 

Due to a limit on map real estate I chose to use 4 separate data frames to display the data.  One data frame included the contiguous 48 states, another frame for Alaska, another for Hawaii, and finally one for the District of Columbia (D.C.). The final three data frames were not to scale and marked as such on the map.  Despite their reduction in scale, I made sure to use an accurately sized graduated circle representing the participation rates.  I used state abbreviations for labels, again, to save map space.

I included all the other necessary map elements such as a title, sub-title, north arrow, scale bar, neatline, my name, date, projection, and a list of italicized sources along with 2 five class labeled legends.  As requested, there is a descriptive paragraph prominently featured on the bottom center of the map that gives the viewer further information about the subject.

I added my own bit of craftsmanship by using a drop shadow for most of the map elements listed above.  These included the title, sub-title, name, date, projection, sources, the box containing the descriptive paragraph, as well as the insets for Alaska, Hawaii, and D.C.  I couldn't leave the map with a plain white background so I added a light brown vertical gradient to offer the map a subtle figure ground contrast.
For the map title I used letters with a white fill and a solid black stroke.  The sub-title had letters with a black fill and a very slight white stroke.  I also chose to use a narrow version of the font on the sub-title.

Overall, I’m very pleased with the results of my map and feel it gives the viewer an easily interpretable body of information and a pleasing visual set.  There was a lot of trial and error involved in this map’s creation and I feel I could continue to tweak it indefinitely but at some point it needs to be made available for public consumption as long as there are no glaring errors. 

I've learned a great deal in this cartography class, but the one lesson I feel is most important to take away from this project and class overall is that planning out a map is vital to creating something that is both attractive and useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment