Friday 7 February 2014

Cartographic Skills – GIS 3015
Module 5: Spatial Statistics

This week we were introduced to spatial analysis and how to determine which method of analysis would be appropriate for a particular set of data. Spatial analysis utilizes spatial statistics to reveal patterns or valuable information that isn’t always obvious after a simple visual inspection of data. This lesson also included tips on best practices and ways to identify potential problems with a data set.

I created the map above utilizing 3 spatial statistics tools from ArcToolbox that are vital when analyzing spatial data. The first tool I used was the Mean Center tool that placed the bright green box in the geographic center of the data set. This process determines the average xy-coordinates for the study data.  This tool is very helpful when you need to know the center point across the entire breadth of spatial data.

The second spatial tool I employed was the Median Center tool that simply picks the xy-coordinate in the middle of the entire list of data points.  This is slightly different from the Mean Center but still very useful in analyzing spatial data.

The last tool I used when making this map was the Directional Distribution feature.  This process examined all data points and created a polygon that reflected the geographic orientation of the data.  Each of the tools is important but I felt this tool gave me the most insight into the data I was working with.  The general east-west nature of the data was helpful in gaining a better understanding of the data that will allow for more intense analysis down the line.

After running each tool and symbolizing the results I went about the task of “owning” my map by adding all those features necessary to make this product complete.  I added the scale bar, north arrow, a title, my name, the date, etc.  The legend was necessary so the audience would understand what was being presented.

I hope you enjoy the map and can see the utility in the tools used to create it.  I certainly do.

No comments:

Post a Comment