Saturday 1 February 2014

This week’s lesson called for us to employ Adobe Illustrator (AI) to label islands and features around Marathon, Florida in the Florida Keys while demonstrating a sound grasp of typographic standards.

First, we had to use a set of online maps to correctly identify where the islands and features are situated.  In total, there were 17 features we needed to label. These included, water bodies, cities, parks and other features, as well as the actual islands. Once we knew what we were mapping we needed to come up with an aesthetically pleasing map product containing all essential elements and a logical color scheme and hierarchy.  Another requirement was exploring the variety of special effects offered by AI and put our own personal touch on the map.

Completing the assignment was both exciting and frustrating. The number of options was a bit overwhelming but the process of experimenting in AI made the lesson fun.  I used different font colors, sizes, and styles to distinguish the different feature labels.  I added a frameline and neatline to the map to create a framed product with the neatline having a blue background to serve as the ocean.  Many of my labels are set at an angle to flow with the orientation of the geography.  I also employed the “Text on a Path” feature to fill in a label exactly where I felt it needed to be.

My three personal touches consisted of utilizing different fonts for label categories, employing a unique color combination with a 0.25 size stroke for the Park & City features, and labelling the water features with an envelope effect.  I also added an extra bit of personal artistry by creating a runway for the Marathon Airport and placing the label inside.  Based on the title of my map, I didn’t think it needed a legend since all of the elements were self-explanatory.


Improving my skillset in AI is still a work in progress as I found out by inadvertently moving my background image while trying to adjust the placement of my text labels time and time again.  I also found the need to zoom in and out of the map tedious and wish there was a more expeditious method to accomplish this.  More practice will surely allow me to better handle the program and master all of its capabilities.  I look forward to our next lesson and the chance to gain a better understanding of all the nuances of AI.

No comments:

Post a Comment